- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 1 cup cheese chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs
Break and boil macaroni in salt water until tender, about 20 minutes.
Blanch in cold water to prevent sticking. Cover bottom of baking dish
with layer of macaroni, a sprinkle of cheese, bits of butter, salt and
- Continue until all is used, having cheese on top.
- Mix milk and egg together, pour over the dish, cover top with crumbs,
bake in moderate oven long enough to brown top and cook egg and milk.
Serve in same dish.
- A thin white sauce is sometimes used instead of milk and egg.
- This dish, when left over, makes nice croquettes. Serve with tomato